This weekend I was really in the mood to dig my heels into a project. Something that I’ve really been interested in doing but never thought that I would have to time or patience to do. So as I was searching around on Pinterest I came across this easy do-it-yourself wall art that a fellow blogger did. It looked like something even I could do and I don’t have an artistic bone in my body.
So Friday I went to Hobby Lobby and bought all the supplies for a total of $14!
- 1 -16 x 20 canvas (the other blogger only 12 x 16 and I wanted a little bigger one) $7.99
- 1- 4 oz. grey acrylic paint 3.99
- 6 pieces of scrapbook paper $0.59 each (which was then 50% off when I checked out!)
- Foam paint brushes $1.29
I already had a glue gun at home so I didn’t have to buy that. The directions also suggested using Mod Podge but I read in some of the readers comments that when they used it, it ruined the paint on the canvas, so I opted to not do it. I also used a little bit of black paint I had at home to mix with the grey to make it a little darker.
- Paint canvas using the foam brushes. I suggest doing 2 coats.
- Cut about a 2 inch strip from the bottom of each scrapbook paper. I really just eyeballed it because I didn’t want them too perfect.
- Then cut those strips into 2-3 inch rectangles.
- Start cutting at a corner of the paper making a curved cut to the opposite side. Then do the same on the other side of the paper.
- Now you should have a leaf shape! Now repeat these steps making larger and smaller shapes.
- Once you have a good amount, lay the leaves out on the dry canvas starting with the center circle and working your way out. ( I put my center a little off to the side like the other blogger did too)
- As you lay them out, you may have to cut some of them down or make bigger ones. I started with smaller leaves in the center and bigger ones as I worked my way out.
- Once you have a layout you like, start hot gluing the leaves down beginning from the center and working your way out again. Be sure to wrap the edges around when the leaves get to the end.
And that’s it! It took me about the length of watching the Packer game to do everything. So not too long! This is the final product! What do you guys think? Leave your comments or other cool projects you have done! Happy Crafting!